Anaheim Legal Separation Attorney
Unlike a divorce, a legal separation does not mean the end of your marriage; it simply means that you and your partner decide to live independent lives while remaining legally married.
The purpose of a legal separation is to work out an agreement and/or court order, for things like the division of your assets, child custody, visitation, and support. This court order intends to protect your interests until you make up, file for divorce, or the death of either party.
A legal separation is not a required step in obtaining a divorce. Nevertheless, if the decision to divorce is made in the future a judge may decide that because you were pleased with your legal separation agreement, the same agreement should carry over to the divorce settlement agreement. It is for this reason you will want to talk to an experienced family law lawyer.
Reasons for Filing for Legal Separation:
- It allows partners time apart, away from the conflict of the marriage to determine if divorce is what they truly want.
- It might allow for the retention of medical benefits and various other benefits that divorce would bring to an end.
- If your religious beliefs conflict with the idea of divorce, you have the ability to live separately and retain your marital status.
- If you are a military spouse, you may want to stay married for 10 years so you can take advantage of the benefits established by the Uniformed Services Former Spouse Protection Act.
- Remaining married for 10 years or more also means being able to take advantage of certain social security benefits for a partner.
Contact an Anaheim Legal Seperation Attorney
Facing issues such as a legal separation and potential divorce can be frustrating. You should consult with a divorce lawyer at Thomas K. McKnight to help you through this difficult period in your life. If you are considering a legal separation, call our law firm to assess the unique details of your case. Our legal separation lawyers can help guide you through the whole process. If you need more information about legal separation or divorce, call our law firm at 1-800-466-7507 for a private consultation.
For more information about a Legal Seperation Attorney in Anaheim, California, contact Thomas K. McKnight LLP at (800) 466-7507 or visit our website at TKMLLP.Com for a free consultation!