Santa Ana Legal Separation Attorney
Unlike a divorce, a legal separation does not mean the end of your marriage; it simply means that you and your spouse decide to live separate lives while continuing to be legally married.
The purpose of a legal separation is to work out an agreement and/or court order, for things like the division of your assets, child custody, visitation, and support. This court order intends to protect your interests until you make up, file for divorce, or the death of either party.
A legal separation is not a required step in acquiring a divorce. However, if the decision to divorce is made later on a judge may determine that since you were satisfied with your legal separation agreement, the same agreement should carry over to the divorce settlement agreement. It is because of this you will want to talk to an experienced family law attorney.
Reasons for Filing for Legal Separation:
- It allows couples time apart, away from the conflict of the marriage to decide if divorce is what they really want.
- It might allow for the retention of medical benefits and certain other benefits that divorce would bring to an end.
- If your religious beliefs conflict with the idea of divorce, you have the ability to live separately and retain your marital status.
- If you are a military spouse, you may wish to stay married for 10 years so you can take advantage of the benefits established by the Uniformed Services Former Spouse Protection Act.
- Remaining married for 10 years or more also means being able to take advantage of particular social security benefits for a partner.
Contact a Santa Ana Legal Seperation Attorney
Dealing with issues such as a legal separation and potential divorce can be frustrating. You should consult with a divorce lawyer at Thomas K. McKnight to help you through this challenging time in your life. If you are considering a legal separation, call our law firm to assess the special details of your situation. Our legal separation attorneys can help guide you through the entire process. If you need additional information about legal separation or divorce, call our law firm at 1-800-466-7507 for a private consultation.
For more information about a Legal Separation Attorney in Santa Ana, California, contact Thomas K. McKnight LLP at (800) 466-7507 or visit our website at TKMLLP.Com for a free consultation!